Monday, March 29, 2010

Fontana Dam 162.2 miles


Fontana Dam was built in the early 1940's by the Tennessee Valley Authority. It is also the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the AT goes through the entire backbone of the park.

Here I have decided to take my first "zero" day with the same group of guys I have been with for almost two weeks now. We are staying at the Fontana Lodge, which has all the amenities. Pool, spa, game room, library, bistro etc. About 50% of these amenities are currently out of order or closed for the season. Awesome. I can't complain though as it is only $25 to stay in a room packed with 5 hikers for two nights.

My trail name has become "slapshot." Obviously because of my love for hockey and constant craving for Capitals updates. Oddly enough slapshot is the name of the Capitals mascot.

1 comment:

  1. Slapshot, hope you do not run into any bear trouble. The Smokies have about 500 bears. You might want to stay down wind of them.
    Llama Mama

    ReplyDelete