Monday, March 29, 2010

Neels Gap - 30.7miles


The AT starts atop Springer Mountain, GA. In order to reach it you must hike the "approach trail" which is 9 miles straight up. It is more like hiking the Sears Tower than a mountain. There are literally over 500 stairs to climb just to get past the 1st section. After I reached the top of Springer I realized many people get a ride to a road that is just 0.9 miles from the summit. They are the smart ones.

I thought with my experience this summer I was a good hiker. This was until I saw my sister and her dog Taylor hike. Had we let the dog loose it would probably be to Katahdin by now.

One reason the trail is greater than the "real" world is the people. The kindness of everyone is overwhelming. I have gotten more free food than I did even in college. If you bump into someone at a bar or in the streets of Chicago you are more than likely going to end up in a fight or get shot. Here the response is, "sorry man", "my bad bro", or my favorite "no worries."

Thus far the hike has been much harder then I originally expected. After two days I finally got used to all the uphill climbs; however, my knees and feet are taking a beating. I have added Ibuprofen to my trail mix to help.

Currently I am in a hiker hostel and it may be the coolest place on earth. Bed, shower, dinner, breakfast, laundry and internet all for under $20. I am watching Moby Dick with a guy who has been here for a couple days. Fantasia is up next.

There is a St. Patty's day party at Low Gap tonight which I don't think I will be able to get to. In addition I had no green clothes to wear. Lucky the cover to my sleeping pad is green and I wore that on my head. Looked like a green version of the Pope's hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment